Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The state of our union

During the 5 weeks I was away Musicman and I texted every day. I  really enjoyed that, he almost seemed like a different man.  He seemed like the man I loved, married and chose to submit to. It gave me hope that we would be able to get things back on track.

Now that I'm home he texts me every day on his lunch break. I find that sweet and look forward to those texts.

I think anyone on the outside looking in would see a loving, happy, middle age couple content with their life. I'd even go so far as to say that's exactly how Musicman feels most of the time.

He goes to work.  I  spend my days dealing with no less than 4 different insurance companies and as many doctors wading through paperwork and jumping through hoops trying to get the care I need. Well, it's more like a tuck and roll cause I don't jump.  Either way, it's all very frustrating.

Musicman comes home to a mostly clean home, some things I just can't physically do, and a decent meal.  I do my best to give him time to relax and recoup after long days at work. He needs it and deserves that.

We continue to be intimate a few times a week, though not much kink going on.  I  admit that I miss it, but I don't ask for it. I'm just not sure I'm ready for that with him again

One of the glaring problems that no one would see is the lack of  support from Musicman. He's either incapable or unwilling to provide that. If he finds me in tears of frustration with my current situation, he literally says nothing and walks away.  All I really need in those moments is a hug and encouraging words. I've voiced that to him and he gives me a blank look and walks away.

I'm a very independent, take charge and get it done, kind of person. Being physically incapable of doing the things that I want or need to do is also frustrating. Though difficult for me to ask for help, I do.  Musicman usually has some lame excuse as to why he can't or won't help.

I truly do not understand why he's acting this way. If I try to open a dialog about it, no matter how calm and non-judgmental I am, he doesn't take it well. He most often gets instantly angry and verbally attacks me. He turns around everything I say and accuses me of trying to make him feel bad.  That is never my intention and I'm often stymied at how he is able to make any and every situation about him.

I'm literally stuck right now while I work my way through the nightmare maze that is our health care system.  I've been informed that could be another 3-6 months. Until then I don't need to make any decisions about where I go moving forward.  I hope that time and hard work on my part allows me to make the right decision.



16 comments:

  1. Faerie, something very similar to this happened to someone close to me. If you'd like I can ask her to contact you. Please pm me and let me know if you'd like this. Im sure she could offer support and she's been where you are at.
    As far as you and your husband are concerned, I hope you don't mind me saying, I think counseling is the answer. You need a mediator so that you can talk without your words being turned around.
    Idk why your husband is defensive but it sounds as if he's afraid. Seeing a counselor can help him to work through that and help the two of you reconnect.

    Big Hugs hon,
    Jlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the offer and as soon as I can figure out how to contact you I will. I'm not very tech savvy,but I'll take any and all help I can get.

      Delete
  2. Hugs to you Faerie. I agree with Jlynne. You both have different communication styles and you think you are speaking his language and visa versa, but clearly it is not getting through. Have you read the book "The Five Love Languages"? It truly opened my eyes to how to speak to my partner and also what my language is. I recommend it! I am sorry you are going through such physical pain and hope you have some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that book and many others on communication . As to the physical pain, it sucks, but it is what it is. I'm learning to deal with it,though not easily.

      Delete
  3. Oh Faerie, that is very difficult to handle. I have actually been there. It was a vicious cycle to break. I know in our case a great deal of it had started with me, and my independent (shut off and shut out when I am hurt/injured/afraid) self sent out a vibe to Barney that he perceived was something else. He likes to 'fix' things, but comfort- at the time it was beyond his reach. He was frustrated, so he told me much, much later after he realized himself,that he couldn't fix what was going on and he felt holding me wouldn't cut it. Stupid really, because I too asked him.

    I suppose some people just take their insecurities (or as they see them shortcomings about not fixing something or having to watch 'you' go through something ) and project them out as anger to cover up those vulnerable feelings and not realize it.

    Perhaps, and this might not work either, you could ask him, or say to him, " You know, I don't expect you to fix anything here. If that is frustrating to you, I want you to know the thing I really desire from you is a hug and maybe 'we'll get through this'. " Perhaps texting him before his lunch so he can read the words and not the body language might also help- I say this because Barney is much more forthcoming in texts and much more open minded too. Meh, guess I still have a ways to go with the old 'poker face'. LOL

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma, thank you for sharing your wisdom and insights. It's most appreciated. I have said those exact words to Musicman,many years ago. It pissed him off. I ended up telling him that he could fix things by just listenening to me.

      Delete
  4. Faerie, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, and that Musicman is unable or unwilling to support you. Perhaps he is struggling watching what you are going through and dealing with and feeling unable to fix it or help.

    Sending huge (((hugs)))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, I honestly don't know. He's so closed down and defensive. I continue to try, maybe it's failure on my part to figure it out and fix it. I really don't know.

      Delete
  5. No words for you...just hugs...abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you abby. I'm honestly lost right now.

      Delete
  6. I dont really know either one of you, but from the outside looking in, I see MM behavior as fear and insecurity. You have always been the strong one, taking on the world and his heath issues, now the roles are reversed and he doesn't think he can handle it.
    Just my take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very insightful observation and something I have considered. It's one of the reasons I've tried to be specific with what I need from him. It's hit and miss whether it works, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

      Delete
  7. You know what it sounds like to me? Like MM isn't sure what to do. He's waiting and planning. I know sometimes for me it seems like BIKSS is abandoning me, or ignoring me or not giving me what i've already explicitly said will help me... but over time i've learnt that when he's distant and walking away instead of coming in to hold me it's his way of planning and thinking and SOLVING the problem. That is his way of helping me, and the HUG-NOW SOLVE-LATER escapes him. He just goes straight into "SOLVING" mode.

    I'm not sure if that might be the case to some degree with MM also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's exactly the case. Unfortunately I don't tolerate being ignored at all well, and Musicman knows that. I've told him from the beginning that ignoring me is the absolute worst thing he can do. Better for him to do the wrong thing than to ignore me. It's a hang over from my atrocious childhood, I know that, but I just can't/won't tolerate being ignored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will it help if he TELLS you he's thinking on it ?

      Delete
    2. I know Musicman too well, I would know he was lying and that would be worse.

      Delete