Pages

Friday, October 26, 2018

Self Preservation vs. Selfishness

Self-preservation  - noun,
Preservation  of oneself from destruction or harm.
A natural or instinctive tendency to act so as to preserve ones own existence.

Selfishness  - noun,
Being concerned obsessively or exclusively, with oneself or one's own advantage, pleasure, or welfare, regardless of others.

These words and definitions have become an obsession for me. 

I haven't concerned myself much with the first one lately.  Years really.  Self care is not my strength.

I don't think anyone would accuse me of the second.  In fact, more to the point, I've  spent my entire adult life, both personally and professionally, caring for others. Sometimes to my own detriment.

I feel the need to change that.  I need to practice some self-preservation.  In order to survive and thrive again,  I have to learn self-preservation.

Ironically, I'm struggling with that.  It feels selfish to me.

Being a strong adult sucks, probably why I identify as submissive.

That's not actually working out so well, time to take my power back.




3 comments:

  1. It's not selfish Faerie, it's time to take care of you.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faerie -- this step of your new journey is not going to be easy -- self-preservation DOES feel selfish! I come from similar circumstances -- it took me a long time to be confident in myself again

    If you can surround yourself with people who really true care for and about you... take small baby steps -- do what you have to do to take care of you...... and you will get there I promise..

    ReplyDelete