Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One More Night

It looks like one more night alone for me. I tried my best to get the doctor to let Musicman come home today, like they told us, but no go. They are concerned that his oxygen saturation dips too low with activity. It took me pointing out that putting the monitor for it on his finger may not be very accurate. I was right, but they still wouldn't change there minds.

Musicman makes his living with his hands, and he plays guitar, he has calluses on his calluses. For highly educated people they missed the obvious. Frustrating, but nothing more I can do about it, except wait one more night.

I am looking forward to him being home for many reasons. First and foremost I miss him. At the best of times I don't sleep well, when I'm stressed I don't sleep at all. I am not used to sleeping alone, add to that the stress of all this and forget it, it's just not happening, unless I'm totally physically exhausted. Oh well, this too shall pass.

The second reason is a lot more fun. The doctors have told us that given the physicality of his job it will be three months before he can go back to work. It will take that long for the bone to heal totally. Yes folks, 3 whole months home with my honey, ALL ALONE.  Between school and work our son is gone for 12 hours everyday. Hmmm...wonder what we can do to keep ourselves occupied?

With him not working, money is going to be tight, so no frivolous spending, which leaves out going anywhere that cost anything. The weather here for the next 3 months is prime snow time, so no going outside.

He will have to keep busy, as he doesn't do well when he is not productive, and the exercise is important for his recovery. One of the areas he is going to have to work on is getting his arm strength back and the range of motion in his shoulders is impaired right now which will need to be addressed. I have a therapy background and have already thought of a few ways to get that range of motion in his shoulders as well as the arm strength back. Any guesses what I might be referring too?

We had to attend a discharge class today, they reviewed what we can expect over the next few months and any activity restrictions. They gave us a book and it says sexual activity can be resumed immediately. I almost bit my tongue off when the nurse teaching the class said that must have been written by a man. I beg to differ, but didn't as I didn't want to embarass Musicman. It was so hard not to laugh at her when she mentioned we might need to try different positions due to the incision and the healing sternum. Her face was a red as the stripe on a candy cane. If she only knew. Of course I don't think that we are going to be swinging from the chandelier anytime soon, but personally I have never needed a reason to try different positions. I'm certain we can figure it out, and hey if at first we don't succeed, we will try, try again.

In fact, I promised Musicman before he went in to surgery that once he was better I would teach him wicked things. Now I just have to learn some wicked things, lol. Anyone have any suggestions?

13 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that he'll be able to come home tomorrow! As for other activities, don't get your hopes up too high. He may want to, but may not feel up to it at first.

    My dad followed the aftercare instructions pretty strictly and recovered quite well and more quickly than expected. I'm sure with your background you'll be able to help Musicman with his recovery, though mostly it will be up to him, with you there to assist. ;) What a lovely Christmas present though, having your hubby home again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so glad he is on the mend and will be home with you soon. I hope you all have a very good christmas :)
    and yes im sure you know just the therapy for his arm ;) hehehe
    love and hugs kiwi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A healthy husband home for Christmas. How wonderful. Sleep well Faerie and have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sunnygirl, I will sleep so much better when he is home.

    Kiwi, I am an optimist at heart, I look forward to helping him to a full recovery, lol.

    Grace,

    I understand what you are saying, unfortunately this is not our first rodeo when it comes to dealing with recovery from serious health issues. I am so thankful that he is going to be well and home for the holiday. I have faith that things will come along in the right time during his recovery. And, since it is part of our journey and that's what I write about, you get to hear all about it, lol. Don't say I didn't warn you, HaHaHa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great he's able to come home, just in time for Xmas :) wishing you happy holidays :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad he'll be home for the holidays ~ and that you'll have all that down time with him!

    Thinking of you both...

    aisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bummer...I hope today is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you'll know the right time to jump his bones and until then I love little notes and hints like "As soon as you feel like it I'm gonna ... and I can't wait until you feel like doing..." Whether you talk or email or hide little notes, I love this 'pre-play'. But I really hope you help him with that shoulder - he'll need daily therapy, good weights (I hear wood and leather are good for that), incentive, and a handy target for good range of motion. But I'm sure as a health care worker you're already aware of all this.

    I'm so glad you began blogging. I think it's the best therapy in the world!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  9. PK, I do believe you are right in every way, lol. As far as blogging, it's the best therapy I've ever had.

    Aisha, Thank you, who would have thought recovering from major surgery could be so much fun.

    Dee, Happy holidays to you and yours also, He's home, yay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you've got him home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susie, Conina and lil, yes, success he is home I am sleeping and all is right with our world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I still have much to catch up on reading so this is a much belated wish...but I am so glad to hear he is healing and coming home...

    ReplyDelete