Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

First Time

When was the last time you did something for the first time? 

That's a song by Darius Rucker.  It has really resonated  with me ever since I heard it.   I am very much an adventurous person, not necessarily a thrill seeker, but definitely adventurous.  That song made me realize how stagnant our life had become.  So I've decided to change that.

T helped me get started.  My brother's 50th birthday occurred while I was down with them. He wanted to ignore it, she wanted to plan something epic for him.  So we set about planning .

We recruited some good friends. A young neighbor family with 3 young kids and another neighbor friend, a single mom and her young son.   We rented a pontoon boat for the afternoon. We had plenty of food and beverages.  Trying to coordinate and get everyone to the place on time, without telling my brother what was going on, was a bit challenging but we pulled it off.  None of us had ever been on a pontoon boat before.  We had an absolute blast.  Watching my brother help the little ones take turns driving the boat is a precious memory I will forever hold close.  He told T and  I that it was the most fun he'd had since they moved south 4 years ago.  That alone made all the stress of  planning and executing that adventure worth it.

That wasn't the only adventurous thing I did while with them.  I had lots of first time moments, but I also fulfilled a bucket list item.  There is something I've been wanting to do for many years.  Again I recruited T and the wife of the young couple who went on the boat with us, we've become very close.

I got my nipples pierced.  I wasn't afraid or worried at all. In fact T and Ash were getting other things pierced, nothing nearly as exotic as their nipples, but they were practically hyperventilating when we pulled into the parking lot of the piercing place.  I  volunteered to go first.  The piercer was quick and very professional.  It took about 10 minutes and T and Ash couldn't believe that I carried on a normal conversation the whole time. 

Musicman is totally obsessed with them, though a bit bummed that he can't play with them yet.  It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that I got them done.  They are healing well, so hopefully soon he will be able to give them the attention he'd like.   He is determined that I'm going to wear a chain connecting them together.  I'm not opposed to that, but realistically, it's gonna be a while before that can safely happen.

And now for something on the serious side. For any of my readers in the path of Hurricane Florence,  please be safe.  My brother and T are in a place that is going to take a direct hit. Evacuations have been issued but my brother is refusing to leave.  T is scared out of her mind and stressed beyond belief.  I'll be praying for everyone in it's path and some positive thoughts from y'all would be greatly appreciated.


8 comments:

  1. Hope your brother comes to his senses and evacuates. There is not a thing he can do by staying in place. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did not change his mind, they are still there, though the change in direction has lessened how bad they are going to get hit.

      Delete
  2. Hi Faerie,

    Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday celebration for your brother. You are much braver than me having your nipples pierced!

    Thoughts go out to all in the path of Florence.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really had so much fun celebrating his birthday. If you can do nipple clamps (can't remember if you've ever mentioned that) you could handle the piercing.

      Delete
  3. i've talked about piercing nipples a long time but i don't think i would ever be brave enough to do it!

    that celebration sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to get mine done for years, literally. This just seemed to be the right time with the right friends to go with me. Don't think I ever would have gone alone to get it done. As I said to Roz, if you have ever used nipple clamps, you can handle the piercing.

      Delete
  4. to trying new things... :-) Will be thinking of everyone in the path of the hurricane Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely recultivating my adventurous side. This storm is scary and I feel so bad for everyone affected, though the direction change took my family out of the majority of it. Getting hit by some of the outer bands, but not nearly as bad as the people in the direct path are getting hit.

    ReplyDelete